This recipe can be baked as cupcakes if preferred. Buttercream or cream cheese frosting would work here. If glazed, it allows the pumpkin flavor to shine through.
Makes one 9x13-inch sheet cake or 36 cupcakes
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Oil and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan (or line 3 cupcake pans with paper liners).
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger nutmeg, allspice, and salt.
3. In a seperate bowl, combine the pumpkin with the sugar and honey.
4. Make a well in the flour and add the pumpkin mixture. With a wooden spoon, gently stir everything together, then drizzle in the olive oil and add the eggs.
5. Fold flour mixture around the outside of the bowl into the wet ingredients, combining everything and mixing well until the batter is smooth and creamy.
6. Finally, fold in the candied ginger.
7. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes (18-20 minutes for cupcakes), or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, with only a few crumbs attached.
8. Remove the pan from the oven and gently run a knife around the edges of the cake.
9. Place a serving plate upside down on top of the pan, and quickly invert and top the cake pan to release the cake onto the plate.
10. In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic, orange juice, and sugar until no lumps remain.
11. Drizzle over the cooled cake and let set before serving-if you can wait that long.